The current church in Vihanti is the second one, which was built in 1784 during the reign of Gustav III of Sweden. It was named after the wife of Gustav III, Sofia Magdalena. The church was constructed by the famous church builder Simon Silvén-Jylkkä from the Metsäkylä village in Kalajoki. The roof of the church was originally made from thick shingles. In 1882, the original roofing was replaced with thinner shingles. The current metal roof was installed in 1909. A major renovation of the church took place in 1958 and 1961. The foundations were fully renovated, and heat insulation and vertical shuttering were installed on the wall exteriors. At the same time, the current pews were purchased and a heating system was installed. The altar piece and pulpit were also renovated.
The latest renovation and painting work took place between 1983 and 1984 according to the designs of architect Matti Leiber. In conjunction with the repairs, the church and belfry were painted with the original colour, red. The interior also gained a new look with the darkened pews made from red-hearted pine being refurbished with a new coat of paint. At the same time, a canopy was acquired for the pulpit and the lighting was fully modernised. The current belfry, which represents Ostrobothnian Late Renaissance, has stood in its place since the times of the original church. It was built in 1752.